Monday, July 09, 2007

Speech! Speech!

Giving a speechA couple of weeks ago, Barbara Davenport from the Ann Arbor Chamber called me to ask if I would be interested in helping out with the next "Networks!" lunch. Now, I've helped out in the past as an Ambassador. My responsibilities mainly included welcoming people, pointing them in the right direction and making introductions whenever possible. This time, she wanted me to do something a little different.

She wants me to give a speech.

Oh, I'm not the capital-S Speaker for the event. That honor goes to my sales coach, Joe Marr. What Barb wants me to do is talk about how best to make use of the so-called "Power Mingle" portion of the lunch. This is the ten to fifteen minutes after we do our introductions when you try to meet the people who tweaked your interest. Anyway, I get about a minute or two to make a few points about my vast skills as a networker.

How did I get this opportunity, you ask?

Well I doubt is was for my good looks or for the fact that I'm a pretty snappy dresser. She said that when they decided to have this bit, I was one of the first names that popped to people's minds.

Pretty cool.

So I guess all that Certified Networker training is starting to pay off.

So, if you are interested and are in the area, you can hear my presentation at the Chamber lunch on Thursday July 12 at La Piazza by Mediterrano over on State Street. I'd love to see you there!

So, when was the last time you were top of mind?

1 comment:

Debby said...

Darn, I already have a luncheon appt that day. What do you think you're going to say?