Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Follow-up

I love reading Seth Godin's blog. I'm always finding things there which lead me to changes of viewpoint. In one of his recent missives he talks about the seemingly difficult act of following up with your customers and clients. "Seemingly difficult", because almost no one seems to do it. Of course, his point is that it really isn't that difficult and the simple act of reaching out, human to human, is what will turn a one-time customer into a long-time (or life-time) customer.

I would add that the same holds true in the best kinds of networking. If I can find some way to bring two of my contacts together, I'm the hero -- if everything works out. If it doesn't work out, then I need to know so that I can adjust my approach, adjust my estimation of the skills or needs of one or both people, help one or both to be better able to respond in the future, and/or (if things go horribly awry), help make restitution to save or repair a damaged relationship.

Following up with both the person who needs the service and the one who provides it is the best way I can continue to build and enhance my reputation as the "go to" guy. It builds my network and makes it more likely in the future that I will also receive a great referral.

So, when and in what situations do you follow up?

33 days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never when reading a blog. Oh wait -