Sunday, November 05, 2006

Best Things

CashierI love chatting with the people I meet throughout the day. Cashiers, bank tellers, waiters, pretty much anyone who crosses my path (especially those who can't really run away). Anyway, lately, I've taken to asking people, "What's the best thing that's happened to you in the last week?" You'd be amazed at what people will respond and probably equally surprised at how quickly people are willing to tell you quite a bit about themselves.

Just today, Lisa and I stopped by Whole Foods to get a few staples (and to snack our way through the free samples). While we were checking out, I put the question to the young gentleman who was ringing us up. For him, it turns out, the best thing is that he recently joined the local "Y" and that they are going to let him set up some sort of apparatus which will allow him to practice his disc golf over the winter. Pretty cool, right? Then he went on to tell me that he actually plays in tournaments and that at the last one he made it to the semi-finals and that he and his girlfriend had won the mixed doubles division.

And I found out all of this in the time it took to ring up about ten items.

So, if you have problems meeting new people, I highly recommend giving this icebreaker a try. Let's face it. Anything that I consider to be "best" in any way tells you so much about me.

What, me? Well there are a couple of things I'm not ready to share yet, but strangely enough, Lisa and I spent Saturday morning cleaning all of the windows in the house, both inside and out. I'm amazed at what a difference this makes on my outlook (no pun intended).

So, what's the best thing that's happened with you in the last week?

57 days.

No comments: