Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Clockwork of Government

clockworkToday we had our fifth Leadership Ann Arbor class -- Local Government Day.

As with most Leadership days, this one has left me a bit tired. For some reason, trying to cram all of that information into my head just wears me out. Unfortunately, this has left me a bit too befuddled to really do the story justice (especially since I would have to read my notes from the day -- a task which would exhaust me on the best of days!). So, I will fill in the details tomorrow.

For now, suffice it to say that we received a day long tutorial on the different levels of local government, from state to county to city. We learned about the different jobs and responsibilities held by each level, the challenges they currently face (many, but certainly not all, caused by the impending departure of Pfizer from the state), and, to some extent, how we can get involved.

We even visited some of the services provided by our local governments. We saw the Bill Wheeler Materials Recovery Facility (run by the city), and the Delonis Center homeless shelter (a county facility). I have to admit that I had no idea the number of things that our local governments do. Ironically, many of these services are the kinds of things that you really take for granted -- unless you don't have them. Then they become really important.

Anyway, more on this adventure tomorrow.

No comments: