Wednesday, October 03, 2007

15 Minutes

I haven't been writing much recently. I think part of the problem is that I can't seem to write a short entry. I end up writing paragraph upon paragraph and searching for just the write graphic. Before I know it, I've invested an hour or two into writing a single post.

So, I think this has to change. I'm going to try to write a few posts in only 15 minutes. I'm hoping that they will be short, to the point, and will encourage me to tighten up my writing.

For tonight, I'm just going to include a video of my most recent Black Belt exam. This one was a tonfa form (think of a police night stick).



In the martial arts, as with most human pursuits, a practitioner has a variety of specializations upon which he can focus. To be truly memorable, though, he must choose one upon which he will lavish his attention. Many years ago, I started my training in martial art weapons (Kobudo). As a result of that focus, I'm now the primary weapons instructor at the school I attend.

Similarly, I've had to focus my business. I could have tried to become an "everything for everyone" web development business, but I've found that I am happier and more memorable as a back end web programmer.

So, how do you specialize?

No comments: