Sunday, October 14, 2007

More Karate Fun

Last weekend I had what was either my last or next-to-last Karate demonstration/test for my third-degree black belt. I'll find out on Monday if I'm going to have one more in November. Assuming all goes as planned, I should be receiving my new belt on December 1st.

Of course, since our baby's due date is November 28th, there is some question as to whether I'll actually be up on stage to receive my belt!

Anyway, here's the video of the three of us performing Old Koryo, a form our school hasn't used since before the mid 70's. To my right is Peter Gluck, my partner for the last eight months and to my left is my young friend Darcy Christian who will be receiving her third degree in May of next year. She's just started her monthly testing.



Oh, and just in case you think this has nothing to do with business: Working on preparing for this performance is a lot like some of the projects I've worked on in my business. In both cases, working with skilled professionals who have a ton of experience under their belts (so to speak) makes the whole thing a lot easier and a heck of a lot more fun.

After learning the form, it took us almost no time to get it synchronized. All three of us have had to do that so many times that it's almost second nature. The same holds true with my programming projects. When I'm working with experienced professionals, the project is almost inevitably effortless.

What was the last project you worked on with someone else? Where they "skilled practitioners"? Did it make a difference?

No comments: