Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Warming Up to Defrost Design and MVCA

Entrepreneur bannerIt's been a bit since I wrote about the state of Cyber Data Solutions and my exciting life as an entrepreneur. I've been working full time in my business now for just shy of four months. What's it been like? Have I had to sell the cats for food? How do I enjoy setting my own hours?

That last one was prompted by an acquaintance of mine who, when she found out that I had gone full time, told me that it must be nice to be able to set my own hours. I laughed and assured her that, indeed, it was. Of course the hours I set are from 7am to 2am! After all, if I don't work, I don't get paid.

Other than the long hours, though, things are going quite well. I recently started and completed a project with a new client, the Michigan Venture Capital Association. I met the Executive Director of MVCA, LeAnn Auer, through her husband, Joe. His company, High Seas Consulting, does a lot of the same things that mine does, except where I work in the realm of Unix, they focus on the Microsoft market (kind of like giving in to the Dark Side of the Force).

MVCA already had a Web Design company, Defrost Design. They just needed to have some back end programming and database work done.

This is exactly the kind of project I love.

I had a client who wanted the project done quickly and was willing to devote her own time as needed. The actual work was interesting without being impossible. Finally, I got to work with professional web designers, Craig Steen and Matt Raup, who really knew what they were doing and got their part of the project done well ahead of schedule. If I got to work on more projects with folks like LeAnn, Craig, and Matt, my life as an entrepreneur would be a decidedly cheerful one.

To make a long story short, three weeks after my initial meeting with LeAnn, we had completed setting up a membership directory, an executive talent search database, and protected it all with a password system based on the members listed in the directory. LeAnn was presenting it to the MVCA Board today, so I can't wait to hear how it went.

All-in-all a very satisfying project.

So, what makes a project satisfying to you?

1 comment:

Spencer said...

Hey! I want to comment on the previous post, but there are no comment links there.

Thanks for pushing me to try Google Reader. I tnink. It's either going to speed up my blog reading, or it's going to enable me to spend (waste?) a lot more time reading blogs because it's so easy.