Thursday, April 05, 2007

Going Live

spider webSo, yesterday marked the first day of the rest of my website's life. Yesterday I went live on the new look and new functionality that I've been working on in my spare moments for about a month now.

Is it exactly what I wanted? No.

I wanted a full news archive facility, I wanted rotating testimonials at the bottom of each page. Some of the layout stuff wasn't working the way I wanted it to, so I had to give up on it until a later date. I really wanted to upgrade the look of my e-zine (for both the email version and the archived version on the site). I would have really loved to put the site under a content management system (CMS), like Drupal.

For all that, though, I'm still pretty happy.

It's a new look. It even has a logo (and everyone needs a logo, right?). It has some news stories about my company. This blog and the e-zine both have homes there. It even has place markers for a lot of the things I want to add in the future.

And, it gives me a place to start.

The best websites never say "Under Construction". The best websites just always are under construction. The minute you stop adding to and updating your site is the minute it becomes a brochure site (and who reads a brochure twice?).

So, what's the most exciting thing going on with your website? Tell us what it is and link to it in the comments.

1 comment:

Debby said...

Greg, it looks great and reads even better. I love the "about us" story. YOu have presented a very friendly 'front porch!'