Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Black Jacket Club

Master Terry Brennan, Master Ian Hafner, Master Jason Hafner, Greg Peters, and Peter GluckI've been training at Keith Hafners Karate for almost ten years now. In that time, I've earned a belt or two, I've picked up a smattering of skills in the martial arts, and I've even taught a few classes along the way. I've learned from and enjoyed almost every aspect. OK, I'll admit that I probably could have skipped the various minor injuries and been just as happy, but in general it was all worthwhile.

This past weekend I received a "lifetime" achievement award down at the school. Professor Hafner occasionally singles out one or two (or in this case four) students who, in addition to their efforts to become better martial artists, have devoted time and energy to help the school as a community.

The physical manifestation of the award was a beautiful wool and leather "letterman" jacket. Not including Professor Hafner himself, only twenty people have one of these coats. For the most part, they are Masters and other former and current instructors. Needless to say, I'm pleased to be a part of such an august company.

The ironic thing is, though, that every accomplishment in the martial arts is really only a milepost. I still have so much to learn that I will probably be training for the rest of my life. The road goes ever onward.

So, let's hear some horntooting from you. What awards or recognition have you received recently?

1 comment:

Larc said...

Congratulations!