Wednesday, May 07, 2008

My Good Name

I had something happen tonight which just irritates the heck out of me. I was checking my email and found some bounced messages. A whole lot of them.

What irritates me is that I didn't send the originals. Some twit harvested my email address (probably from my company website) and used it in the "From" field for his spam-fest. I received around 20 bounced messages for replica watches and "pharmaceuticals". That means a whole lot more made it through to people -- people who now associate my email address with such desultory practices.

This could lead to my email address being placed on the "black lists" for various spam blocking services, which could lead to my messages not getting through to my clients. Nice.

And the worst thing is? There isn't a darned thing I can do about it.

Grrr.

So, have you experienced anyone tainting your good name recently? What did you do?

1 comment:

Debby said...

Funny you should ask. I have submitted articles that I've written to Ezine Articles, which allows other people to use the written content as long as it is NOT changed and the author gets attrition. I also use Google alerts to find out when my name is used anywhere online. Surprise, surprise, surprise -- the other day, I found out that someone had used one of these articles but had added to it and also added links that were not what I wanted. And of course they left my name there so that the world would think I did this. Infuriating, but there's not much I can do with the scum of the world.